Under provisions of the Manual of Requirements for Child Care Centers (N.J.A.C. 10:122), every licensed care center in New Jersey must provide to parents of enrolled children written information on parent visitation rights, State licensing requirements, child abuse/neglect reporting requirements and other child care matters. The center must comply with this requirement by reproducing and distributing to parents this written statement, prepared by the Bureau of Licensing in the Division of Youth and Family Services (DYFS). In keeping with this requirement, the center must secure every parent’s signature attesting to his/her receipt of the information.

Our center is required by the State Child Care Center Licensing Law to be licensed by the Bureau of Licensing in the New Jersey Division of Youth and Family Services. A copy of our current license by the Bureau of Licensing must be posted in a prominent location in our center. Look for it when you enter the center.

To be licensed, our center must comply with the Manual of Requirements for Child Care centers (the official licensing regulations). The regulations cover such areas as: physical environment/life-safety, staff qualifications, supervision, and staff/child ratios, program activities and equipment, health, food and nutrition, rest and sleep requirements, parent /community participation, administrative and record keeping requirements, and others.

Our center must have on the premises a copy of the Manual of Requirements for Child Care Centers, and make it available to interested parents for review. If you would like to review our copy, just ask any staff member. Parents may secure a copy of the “Manual of Requirements” by sending a check or money order for $5 made payable to the “Treasurer, State of New Jersey”, and mailing it to Bureau of Licensing, Division or Youth and Family Services, Licensing Publication Fees, PO Box 18500, Newark, NJ 07191

We encourage parents to discuss with us any questions or concerns about the policies and program of the center or the meaning, application, or alleged violations of the Manual of Requirements for Child Care Centers. We will be happy to arrange a convenient opportunity for you to review and discuss these matters with us. If you suspect our center may be in violation of licensing standards, you are entitled to report them to the Bureau of Licensing at (609) 292-1021 or (609) 292-9220. Of course, we would appreciate your bringing these to our attention also.

Our center must have a policy concerning the release of children to parents or people authorized by parent(s) to be responsible for the child. Please discuss with us your plans for your child’s departure from the center.

Our center must have a policy about dispensing medicine and the management of communicable diseases. Please talk to us about these policies so we can work together to keep our children healthy.

Parents are entitled to review the center’s copy of the Bureau of Licensing’s Inspection/Violation Reports on the center, which are issued after every State licensing inspection of our center. If there is a licensing complaint investigation, you are also entitled to review the Bureau’s Complaint Investigation Summary Report, as well as any letters of enforcement or other actions taken against the center during the current licensing period. Let us know if you wish to review them and we will make them available for your review.

Our center must cooperate with all DYFS inspections/investigations. DYFS staff may interview both staff members and children.

Our center must post its written statement of philosophy on child discipline in a prominent location and make a copy of it available to parents upon request. We encourage you to review it and to discuss with us any question(s) you may have about it.

Our center must post a listing or diagram of those rooms and areas approved by the office for the children’s use.  Please talk to us if you have any questions about the center’s space.

Our center must offer parents of enrolled children ample opportunity to assist the center in complying with licensing requirements, and to participate in and observe the activities of the center.  Parents wishing to participate in the activities or operations of the center should discuss their interest with the center directly, who can advise them of what opportunities are available.

Parents of enrolled children may visit our center at any time without having to secure prior approval from the directory or any staff member.  You still have to check in at the main Recreation Office though.  Please feel free to do so when you can.  We welcome visits from our parents.

Our center must inform parents in advance of every field trip, outing, or special event away from the center, and must obtain prior written consent from parents before taking a child on each such trip.

Our center is required to comply with the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination (LAD), P.L. 1945, c. 169 (N.J.S.A. 10:5-1 et seq.), and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), P.L. 101-336 (42 U.S.C. 12101 et seq.).  Anyone who believes the center is not in compliance with these laws may contact the Division on Civil Rights in the New Jersey Department of Law and Public Safety for information about filing an LAD claim at 609-292-4605 (TTY users may dial 711 to reach the New Jersey Relay Operator and ask for 609-292-7701 or may contact the United States Department of Justice for information about filing an ADA claim at 800-514-0301 or TTY 800-514-0383.

Anyone who has reasonable cause to believe that an enrolled child has been or is being subjected to any form of hitting, corporal punishment, abusive language, ridicule, harsh, humiliating or frightening treatment, or any other kind of child abuse, neglect or exploitation by an adult, whether working at the center or not is required by State law to report the concerns immediately to the State Central Registry and Child Abuse Hotline, toll-free at 1-877-NJ ABUSE (652-2873).  Such reports may be made anonymously.

Parents may secure information about child abuse and neglect by contacting the Community Education Officer, Division of Youth and Family Services, PO Box 717, Trenton NJ 08625.


If a child exhibits any of the following symptoms, he/she  should not attend the center.  If such symptoms occur at the center, the child will be removed from the group, and you will be called to take him/her home:

Severe pain or discomfort, Acute diarrhea, Episodes of acute vomiting, Elevated oral temperature of 101.5 degrees Fahrenheit, Sore throat or severe coughing, Yellow eyes or jaundice skin, Red eyes with discharge, Infect or untreated skin patches, Difficult or rapid breathing, Skin lesions that are weeping or bleeding, Skin rashes lasting longer than 24 hours, Swollen joints, Visibly enlarged lymph nodes, Stiff neck or Blood in urine.

Once the child is symptom free or has a doctor note stating he/she no longer poses a serious health risk then the child may return to the center.


A child who contracts any of the following diseases may not return to the center without a physician’s note stating that the child presents no risk to him/herself or others:

Respiratory Illnesses / Gastrointestinal Illnesses / Contact Illnesses;

Chicken Pox**, German Measles, Hemophilus Influenzae*, Measles*, Meningococcus*, Mumps*, Strep Throat, Tuberculosis*, Whooping Cough*, Giardia Lambia*, Hepatitis A*, Salmonella*, Shigella*, Impetigo, Lice, Scabies.

*Reportable diseases that will be reported to the health department by the center.

** Note: If your child has chicken pox, a doctor’s note is not required for re-admitting the child to the center.  A note from the parent is required, stating either that at least six days have elapsed since the onset of the rash, or that all sores have dried and crusted.

If your child is exposed to any excludable disease at the center, you will be notified in writing.


The Recreation Center does not give medicine to any child.  Since our sessions are short, medicine can be given by parents before and after class.


Please make the staff aware of any unusual health conditions such as asthma, allergies to foods, allergies to insect bites etc.  Make note of these on your emergency medical forms.