WHERE should you apply for a Marriage/Civil Union License?

The Marriage/Civil Union license may be obtained from the Registrar of Vital Statistics in the municipality where either applicant resides. The application for the license may be obtained online from the State Registrar’s office at:

OUT OF STATE Applicants: The Marriage – Civil Union License MUST be obtained in the municipality where the Marriage/Civil Union will take place.

WHEN should you apply for a Marriage – Civil Union license?

This can be done up to 6 months BEFORE THE EVENT.

CALL (732) 892–4183 to make an appointment with the Registrar.
Appointment hours are Monday thru Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m..
After the application is made there is a 72-hour waiting period.
Once the license is issued, it is valid for 30 days.

Licenses are ONLY valid in New Jersey.

WHAT should you bring with you when you apply?

  1. Birth Certificates with parents’ names listed
    ID w/ Residential Address (Example: Valid Photo Driver’s License)
    Social Security Card
  2. One witness over the age of 18
  3. LICENSE FEE $28 payable in CASH or CHECK only (non-refundable)
  4. Divorce decree if applicable
  5. Death Certificate if a previous partner is deceased